Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm really doubtful that what I say today will be interesting to most of you. Mostly it's about frustration with Facebook and trying very hard to market Mrs. Job, but there is also the hope for progress with the Chaska Restorative Practices Action Group.

What about facebook? Well, apparently in transferring from Tiger to Leopard on my Mac I've created a problem that the automated facebook creature out there simply can't deal with. When I try to log on, it tells me I've got the wrong password, so I click on "get a new password." Then it tells me my e-mail isn't registered, so I try to register it, and it tells me I can't do that because I'm already registered. With the help of my Mac guru, I've tried all kinds of things. If I want to keep my old computer around just for the sake of facebook, then I could get by. But for obvious reasons I don't want to do that.  I'm still hoping for a solution. I do not like to be trapped in a catch-22.

And about marketing Mrs. Job. I've done lots of things, but didn't get to others yet, like visiting the local bookstores to ask about book signings. 

Pastor Gordon Stewart of Shepherd of the Hill Presbyterian Church up the hill from me here in Chaska has scheduled a book signing for March 20 for me, along with Dr. Jan Adams of Maria's Children International who will tell the story of the woman in Moscow whose curiosity about the children in Orphanage #113 led to the arts rehabilitation program for warehoused children left by the roadside as useless to society. The wonderful paintings of Maria's Children now line the walls of Shepherd of the Hill and will be there for viewing and for purchase. I think I'll be with inspiring company.

I've done some really bold things, like e-mailing Krista Tippett of MPR in the hope she might be interested in an interview, offering to do a book signing while on the Baltic cruise this summer with Holland America Line, sending a copy of Mrs. Job to a theologian who has written a book on why the Book of Job tells us nothing about the problem of suffering, and stuff like that.  Not surprisingly I've received no responses, but the worst that can happen is no response. I had intended to send a copy to Garrison Keillor, and I will in the future, but right now I don't want to intrude on his grief over the accidental death of his brother.

Just a few minutes ago I received the copy of the book I discovered on Amazon.com, "Meet Mrs. Job" by Carolyn L. Reynolds. I guess I'll have to forgive myself for not finding it earlier, since it was published in 2003. Glancing at it, I see she was on the same wavelength as I am. I'll write a review on Amazon.com. At least I can give it that appreciation.

As for the Chaska Restorative Practices Action Group, I feel like a very small part of a very ambitious project beginning in November with an all-day workshop. The ultimate goal is to bring restorative practices to our community. What a wonderful alternative to the expensive punitive procedures our society seems to be so enamored with now.

Finally, for any of you who get wrapped up in computer-related stuff, I hope you can sympathize with all it takes to bring my records into sync with the new formats required. The most fun, though, is my birthday present which I had requested last year from Doug and Lisa. It wasn't available for the Mac until recently, but now I have it. That's why I went from Tiger to Leopard, 'cause my new toy demands it. It's a Livescribe Pulse Pen -- really fun. As I take notes on the appropriate paper it also records the meeting. Then, when I go back to write the minutes. I can tap on particular words and it plays back to me what was said. I used it on Tuesday at our JustFaith+ meeting at Mount Calvary Lutheran Church. The minutes I managed to put together using it are probably the most complete I've yet come up with.

OK. At least I didn't neglect my blog today. 

Oh yes, I wish I knew who Mary is who has made such kind comments

3 comments:

Andrei Hand said...

"I'm still hoping for a solution. I do not like to be trapped in a catch-22." Buy a PC, catch-22 solved.

Mary Gleason Best said...

Mona, that Mary was me, Mary Gleason Best. I'm new to blogging, so didn't do a very good identification job.
Good luck on your tech puzzle.

Anne S. said...

Mona: I am new to blogging, also. I tried using your facebook but it was too much for me. I hope I have better luck with blogging.
I can't wait to read Mr. Job and plan to order it from Amazon pronto.