Thursday, May 14, 2009

UPDATE ON MRS. JOB

This is sort of an afterthought. I tried to attach it to the "Riding in the Back Seat" blog, but my skills are lacking, and this photo kept showing up where it shouldn't be in that blog.

Just for a quick catch-you-up. She's doing pretty well locally. I've been told of book groups that have chosen her, and Bible study groups that are going to study her. I certainly don't need to tell you how exciting that is for me.

I've also had word from folks around the country who are recommending her to friends. Now, that's really exciting!

What I don't know is how she's doing out there in cyberspace. I guess I have to wait another month to get that information.

And here's some neat stuff I've been sharing with people as I follow up on press releases iUniverse has sent out:

I've been receiving some very positive responses as, for example, this one from David Burrell, Professor of Ethics, Notre Dame University and Uganda Martyrs University: "A lovely book: and a brilliant ploy - to contrast her relation to her friends with that of Job with his! Says something, perhaps, about women friends, no? Not always, I realize, of course, but here it so deftly fleshes out the story. At the beginning, I was worried, for the initial pages seem 'over-written,' in the sense that 'adjectives piled up can weaken the noun.' But, when you hit your narrative stride, all that evaporated. Thank you for such a lovely rendition."

Or this, from Pastor Brenda Legred of Mount Calvary Lutheran Church in Excelsior, Minnesota: "I just finished Mrs. Job and loved it! The dialogue is so real and so beautiful. The depth of relationships is profound. Thank you for gifting this book to the world."

And Sandy Rothschiller's original response, shortened later to fit the blurb on the back cover. "I don't just like this book. I love it. I could hardly wait to get back to the beautifully drawn, timeless characters. Dora is my friend. I know her. I am her. Even as I felt Dara's struggles, her sadness, and her joy, I relived the color, feel, and smell of the desert as I experienced it when I lived there. The life of the Edomites, so well-researched, is impressive as is the Biblical insight, so much more accurate than many books of this genre and so informed by the author's deep spirituality. More than that, this is the gripping story of a woman's love for her husband as they share great blessings and terrible trials. Placed in ancient times, yet it is today's love story. Reverend Sandy Rothschiller, ELCA Pastor and theologian.

These reactions to Mrs. Job do, of course, delight me, and, to tell the truth, I'm happy to be consumed by "Mrs. Job" and "Riding in the Back Seat" because, if I didn't have my mind thus occupied, it would be too easy to get depressed about all the negative stuff that's going on in the world.




No comments: