Monday, August 17, 2009

Sabbath

I’ve had it with empathy, sympathy, productivity, checking e-mail, responding to appeals, mistakes made with loving intentions, supportive phone calls, concern for the nations’ healthcare. What I really wanted today was just to lie on my couch and stare into space. But I went one better. I lay on my couch and read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. What a smart thing to do! It goes to my daughter next if she hasn’t already read it. I guess that’s what old-fashioned Sabbaths were all about.

Well, I did keep a mammogram appointment, and maybe tomorrow I’ll feel like doing stuff again. And wouldn’t it be lovely if someone, somewhere, spent an afternoon on the couch reading Mrs. Job?

1 comment:

Becky Brown said...

Mona,
I stayed in my pajamas all day on Sunday and read Guernsey. I loved it and desperately needed a day to do nothing. See you on the 25th. Becky