Wednesday, March 31, 2010

WHAT I WANT TO BE WHEN I GROW UP

I just decided what I want to be when I grow up. Well, not just now, but sort of early this morning as I woke up. Yesterday a friend of mine told me the reaction of the person to whom she had given a copy of Mrs. Job. Reportedly she loved it, and wondered would I be willing to do a retreat at her [Lutheran] church. There was no real offer, just the suggestion that I should think about it. It took a good night’s sleep for me to realize that this is exactly what I love to do. Forgiveness, Justice, Job and his wife. They are so intimately connected, and how they tie in to my interest in gender psychology and restorative practices! So now my thoughts are off and running. What a great two-day retreat we could have, or even a one-day workshop. It would have to be tailored, both in title and content, to the hosting group. If it were a group of Lutheran women, for example, it could be "Mrs. Job, forgiveness, and justice for the Godly woman." For others it might be "Forgiveness, Justice, Restorative Practices, and the influence of Mrs. Job." Who knows? It would take a lot of thought to name it, and more thought to arrange a fruitful presentation that would frame the issues and their solutions in general as well as personal gain for participants. But my cupboard is filled with so many great ingredients for the recipe. It would be fun. First job – construct a blurb that would describe it to a general audience.

OK. That’s it. Help me with your thoughts. In the meantime, I have spent some time (not enough) on “Riding in the Back Seat” and reading on my deck in halter and shorts. Imagine! It’s that warm here today.

2 comments:

Nancy Simpson said...

Hello Mona, It is not even warm enough here in the south, or at least not here on my mountain, to wear shorts today. I have on a turtleneck shirt.

I'm wishing you the best with your Mrs. Job retreat.
Let me know how it goes.

It's not strange at all how things work out and how all fits together in the end.

Meanwhile my own new book will be out in August 2010 the press says. It's Living Above the Frost Line--Seltcted and New Poems.

I'm teaching a four week class for Young Harris College Institute for Continuing Learning in April and a one week poetry writing class at John C. Campbell Folk School in May.

Life goes on. It's exciting.

Mona Gustafson Affinito, Ph.D. said...

How great to receive your comment - a faithful mentor. I'm hoping for sunshine for you, and watching for your book.