Saturday, March 26, 2011

SURVIVAL OF THE COOPERATIVE

THE AGE OF COMPASSION?

Recently I awoke wondering if I was depressed. I still don’t know whether I was, but I did know I didn’t want to sit and stare into space, much as I wanted to. That would result in guaranteed depression at the end of the day. So I read a book – I mean a print book – which I had sitting on the top of my pile: Frans deWaal, “The Age of Empathy, Nature’s Lessons for a Kinder Society.” I do recommend the book. His 2009 thesis revealed in the preface is so hopeful:

“American politics seems poised for a new epoch that stresses cooperation and social responsibility. The emphasis is on what unites a society, what makes it worth living in, rather than what material wealth we can extract from it. Empathy is the grand theme of our time, …”

Then I received the latest report from the Southern Poverty Law Center. “…more than 1000 hate groups – a record number – are now operating in our country. And armed, antigovernment militias mushroomed for the second year in a row.”

Just an example of the negative evidence that could have sent me back to bed depressed. That’s when I called on the technique I learned years ago from my college roommate – with some modification – Twenty years from now I’ll see what was really going on as we were caught in the eddy of change.

There must be a nice six-word phrase to convey that sense of anticipating what today’s maelstrom will have calmed down to mean twenty years from now.

For more on deWaal’s book, click here for my review on amazon.com. I’ve titled it “Survival of the Cooperative.” You’ll have to scroll down to find it on page 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Age-Empathy-Natures-Lessons-Society/product-reviews/0307407772/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_next_2?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=2

While I’m at it, take a look at the review of my classmate’s book, Lois Spratley, “Transatlantic Triangle.” I’ve titled my review, “Love and Nostalgia – A Darned Good Story.

http://www.amazon.com/Transatlantic-Triangle-Lois-Spratley/product-reviews/0595224539/ref=sr_1_2_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

No comments: