Wednesday, February 29, 2012

CHANGING SITES


Yes, I am still around, coming out from under the accumulated expected and unexpected avalanche that seems to follow every delightful week away. This time was February 4-11 at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, North Carolina. If you’re not familiar with it, I do recommend at least googling it. Away from TV, radio, and even alcohol, deep in the Appalachians, it’s a kind of camp for adults, except that the myriad of crafts offered are no-fooling-around projects. Several years ago when I was there I took a writing course which turned out to be very important for me because the teacher encouraged me to get down to business with “Mrs. Job.” This time I took a class in clay portraits. With three other women in the class, each of whom in some way had more experience than I, and a terrifically competent and patient teacher with an amazing method, the week was more than wonderful. I even managed to turn out something that looks decent to folks who don’t have the other’s products with which to compare it. Right now what I have is a photo. My instructor will fire it for me when it’s ready for firing – slowly, he said, and then ship it to me. See the upload at the beginning of this blog. (I do agree it's a good thing I chose psychology, not art, but it was fun.)

As for the point of this entry: I’m working – and I mean working – on starting a blog at a different source where it will be easier for you to comment. So often I’ve received e-mails from folks who said they would have commented, but it was a hassle to get through the rigmarole. I’ve commented easily on other people’s blogs at this new site. I want that for you. It’s a bit discouraging having no dialogue, just shouting my opinions out into thin air without getting a discussion going. I’m hoping for better on the new location.

Once I complete the confusing process of designing it, I’ll let you know, hoping you’ll not only stay with me but will join a conversation as well.

No comments: