Monday, November 3, 2008

A Wave of Calm

Tomorrow is the day. You who know me well are aware that I've been pretty neurotic about this whole thing. I don't know when anything has seemed more important to me than this election. I really believe it is a major determinant of our nation's direction. But today, listening in the car to the CD of Friedmans "Hot, Flat, and Crowded," I realized that the direction for the future is inevitable no matter who's elected. In focusing on reducing our addiction to oil - which we have no choice but to do -  we'll be tapping into all the other important issues: climate change, rational foreign relations, potential for peaceful solutions, economic growth and justice, poverty reduction, and even women's protection. Did I miss anything?
And listening to discussions on public radio, it seems clear that real gaps in our education system have been revealed in the work-up to these elections. I mean -- real gaps, not just passing standardized tests. Out of that recognition I hope there will come some real solutions. I think of my brilliant CC classmates who couldn't share their knowledge in the public schools because they hadn't taken "methods" courses. People like them could contribute so much! I know, 'cause I remember finding excitement in American History sitting in the sand at Ocean Beach learning from my friend Justine. And when it comes to college, call me old fashioned, but I powerlessly rebelled during my teaching career as the curriculum moved away from basics during the first two years and into premature (I thought) commitment to a major. Oh,oh. I could go on...
There's more on the positive side: what excitement this campaign period has engendered!  It's been awful, but the excitement and commitment in itself is a blessing.
Oh, let's not forget Tina Fay. Think what it will do for Tina's career if Palin is elected. I'm glad for Tina, though, that she has so much talent, 'cause I'm not voting for her Palin future.
In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away at what I do. That includes scraping, scouring, and scrubbing at Lisa and Jan's lovely new/old home in Williamsburg, VA,  last week and getting Mrs. Job ready for the next round.
All in all, life is good. And thanks for all of you who continue to accept this blog from me.
But I am very sad that Obama's grandmother didn't survive to see the outcome of this election. Sometimes life has strange timing.


3 comments:

Mary Gleason Best said...

Your wave of calm has been replaced for me by a wave of cautious optimism. Optimism and pride at our President-elect and his family, and all Americans who ponied up and voted for an African American for president because they believed he was the best person for the job. And cautious because there are so many challenges he is facing ... and still so much hatred. But, good on you, America.

Also, I am really looking forward to reading the story of Mrs. Job.

Mona Gustafson Affinito, Ph.D. said...

thanks, Mary, for noticing, and for your comment

Mona Gustafson Affinito, Ph.D. said...

p.s. I wish you'd allow access to your information.