Thursday, June 4, 2009

IT'S REALLY ALL ABOUT CONTROL

As far as I know, I'm the only one who has a chapter on the "Case Against Forgiveness" in my book (When to Forgive). One big piece of that is my objection to the shaming effect on the part of well-meaning people, religious and otherwise, who urge forgiveness on people who have experienced an offense. It's also based on the observation that there may be other routes to relief and health. That's why I resisted the publisher's efforts to title my book something like "The Miracle of Forgiveness," because I felt the most important factor was having a choice.

At a recent conference, I found some validation for my belief that forgiveness (deciding not to punish) is not necessarily the only road to wholeness. The presenter was talking about his work with brain-injured people. Toward the end, he provided evidence of two cases of productive psychological resolution even though the physical disability was permanent. I found myself automatically assuming that each of them had forgiven the attackers who caused their severe brain damage. But when I questioned the speaker after the presentation, he told me that neither one of them had given up on anger and seeking punishment for the perpetrators. I hesitate in saying this, because I know this is a complex issue that does require a whole chapter, but I do want to jump off from this with some of my thoughts about control.

I've come to believe that being in control of oneself is the bottom-line essential for all therapy or other routes to healthful resolution of hurt from any source. Life's attacks disorient and disorganize us so that, in a real sense, we are not all together. Putting it this way is not very professional. but I think the key is pulling it all back together under our own control. (Notice that what I'm saying has nothing to do with controlling others, except in the sense of taking back control from those who are hurting you.) Quite literally pulling oneself together provides the energy to be happy, even joyful, and productive.

That means accepting the twelve-step goal of distinguishing between that which we can control and that which we can't and taking appropriate action on that distinction. The gift that forgiveness gives us is point number one on the bookmark in the previous blog: "As long as you can't forgive them, they are in control of your life." But that "can't forgive them" piece is complex. I think what it refers to is obsession with the anger and sense of unfairness, along with an impotent desire to get back at the offender. It was possible for the two people referred to by the conference speaker to regain potency by placing the anger energy in a reasonable place, fighting for legal justice. Life regained its order. I think that's what wholeness is all about. Just for the fun of it, look back on the items in the previous blog and look for the element of self-control in each. I'd love to hear comments and responses on these roughly conveyed thoughts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Mona for your thoughtful thoughts about forgiveness. I agree that suggesting someone else "should" forgive is usually counter-productive. And the same is generally true when we ourselves think we "ought" to forgive.

My guess is many people confuse 'forgiving' with 'absolving'.

Caroline Myss says forgiveness is a highly selfish act (in a positive sense) because you are releasing yourself from the "constriction" that goes with not forgiving.

I really liked you comment "the most important factor was having a choice." And for me this depends on the answer to two questions:

1. What would you like to have happen?
2. And can that happen?

If 'no' to question 2, then continue to recycle question 1 with a small, but highly significant variation:

1a. And what would you like to have happen when what you want can't happen?

2. And can that happen?

and so on.

This usually ends up in a place which I think matches your thoughts about what we can control. However, that realization is often not very pleasant or comfortable because that is not how we want the world to be.

Thanks again for your blog,

James