Tuesday, June 16, 2009

WHAT MRS. JOB LOVES TO SEE!

I'm including a couple of e-mails I received recently, just because I want to share my joy, and of course I'd like to hear more good stuff from some of you.

"I got Mrs. Job from Amazon and started reading it yesterday...and couldn't stop until I finished today. What a wonderful story! I wrote this review, which I just posted on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble. 'I enjoyed Mrs. Job on its own merits as fine historical fiction, but throughout my reading I was drawn by its wonderful potential as a companion work to the Book of Job. As a public high school English teacher who has taught the Bible as literature in Advanced Placement classes, having students read Dr. Affinito’s treatment of the life of Job’s wife before embarking on the Biblical work would serve to humanize and contextualize Job’s story, expanding it beyond what students sometimes narrowly perceive as a tale of unfathomable suffering. Through the author’s vivid prose, readers come to know Job the Edomite man, the loving husband and father, the “dissident,” through the eyes, and senses, of his wife who is, in every way, his life’s partner. In the tradition of the day, theirs is an arranged marriage, but one that grows into great love and mutual respect. No shrinking violet she, Dara questions what he does not, she rails against that which he accepts. The foundation of this interplay and conflict serves to more richly illustrate Job’s character (and faith) during his later trials. I parenthesize “faith” because, while the story’s characters are Biblical in origin, the story itself is timeless: Dara’s evolution as a person and the great joys and profound sorrows that punctuate her life resonate through the ages.'"

******************************************************

"I finally finished reading Mrs. Job last week and have been waiting for it all to settle in before writing you, somewhat like a taste of something you love and it takes time to savor. I had no idea you could write so beautifully! A few things I especially appreciated were: your description of feelings of a maturing young girl; the relationship of two very close friends who even though separated never lose their bond and the concept of hospitality among nomads which, it never occurred to me before, is necessary for their very survival. The characterization of both Job and Dara as really strong individuals really makes the whole story very uplifting, even with all the suffering."

Now for some blatant marketing: A signed copy of Mrs. Job can be ordered by way of my e-mail, for one. forgivenessoptions@earthlink.net

1 comment:

Justine said...

Sorry to hear about Lou, but it is a blessing when the suffering is over. Unfortunately it goes on and on for those left behind.
Jus