Friday, October 14, 2011

EMPTY FOOD SHELVES

While I was In Maine I accompanied my friends Harriet and Bob on the beginning of their monthly stint picking up food from the central warehouse to stock the shelves of their church outlet. The first step was to do an inventory of needs at their site. I don’t have words to describe what happened to the pit of my stomach when they unlocked the door and we walked in. EMPTY SHELVES! There were, I think, ten jars of peanut butter and a few sad looking boxes of pasta, with another few stray items. I didn’t even feel grateful that I don’t have to feed my family off such shelves, I just felt shame and intense sadness.

It was even worse when they returned from their expedition the next day to the warehouse. Those shelves were lacking as well. They intended to bring back enough supplies to fill boxes based on a list posted on the wall, but there would not be enough items to complete the list. On the day when the unit is open, people coming to pick up their share will find big gaps – even toilet paper was missing.

I learned in my High School English course that there should be at least three paragraphs here. But what should I put in this last one?


4 comments:

Savvy Lady said...

How about the following as a third paragraph?
"When I hear stories about children starving in places in Africa, I should be reminded of those children in need of a healthy meal in America. Maybe we should think about empty shelves in our neighborhood and if we all did a little to stock these shelves, then maybe children across American be fed."

Mona said...

Good one, Pat. Thanks!

Nancy Simpson said...

Mona, well said. You hit close to my heart. I've been struggling all week with this topic of lack of food to feed a family. I have food, and do not eat much these days anyway, but I cannot get off my mind the cost of food and the constant hurt that people in this country cannot feed their families. My post is " Occupy Wall Street but Stay Away From Ingles." I am furious with Ingles, the only store in my town, because I do not understand their greed. Food must come down in price.

www.nancysimpson.blogspot.com

Mona said...

Thanks for your attention and empathy, Nancy. I dig your comment about Ingles. I don't know the store, but I do know this is a time for community caring.