Tuesday, October 18, 2011

WATERCOLORS


A women’s retreat at Mount Calvary on Saturday, October 15, 2011 –

Let justice flow down like waters

Let the waters flow through my hands on the way to healing the world, knowing it won’t happen in my lifetime
Let my hands remain open, un-grasping sharing
Let me celebrate the wrinkles, the spots. Let them be my gifts to the waters of life and grace.

And then came the watercolors:
           
The little box of paints looked and felt delicious, like the new box of crayons on the first day of school

First painting – just play. What emerged was pretty, flowing pastels.

Second painting – send my prayer to God. Not so pretty. I tried hands reaching out. Ugly emerged.

Third painting – receive God. More lovely, flowing pastels.

No budding artist. Still, I brought them home. And they all looked better upside down.

As Job’s "friends" learned, we don’t have the power to control God with our prayers – only ask and maybe, in time, receive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so true and sweet:
No budding artist. Still, I brought them home. And they all looked better upside down.

As Job’s "friends" learned, we don’t have the power to control God with our prayers – only ask and maybe, in time, receive.

Mona said...

Thanks, ninotchka44 for the kindness of noticing and responding -- you who are yourself so good at conveying the basics with feeling.