Sunday, July 17, 2011

RECORD HEAT - COURTESY MY NIECE


My niece in Connecticut gave me permission to pass this on in my blog. I think you'll enjoy it.  

"I understand that you are planning to send us potentially record heat.  Please don't. Heat makes me want to cry. It pushes down on me and makes me feel as if I will never go outside again.  It swells my hands, makes me feel like I am not "up to things", or that I cannot possibly endure the challenges of the day. It alters my plans, encourages me to further procrastinate, makes me worry about my ability to make it in the world, suggests that I should give up on plans, makes it hard to think of any reason to actually open my door. I can't shovel it, throw salt on it, add clothing to make me more comfortable (and, lord knows there is a limit to how much I can take off), drive more skillfully, make creative structures from it or wage friendly battles with others, complain about the landscaping service and their plowing skills or those of the town, tell stories about past adventures, put on special foot covering to be comfortable and safer, alter my work plans to fit in with safety warnings, light a fire, bake or cook. And this with central air for which I am eternally grateful and paying dearly.

Heat makes me want to cry
Cold makes me search for a sweater or blanket."

2 comments:

Nancy Simpson said...

Good writing. And, I'm happy I live in the mountains.

Mona Gustafson Affinito, Ph.D. said...

Nancy will be thrilled with your comment. Thanks so much -- and do enjoy the coolth of the mountains.