Thursday, July 21, 2011

X-WORD PUZZLES AND THOUGHTS OF FAME

 X-Word puzzles keep me company in my last minutes before sleep at night, but still I can’t stop my mind from humming. About what? How brief is fame. The thought actually cheers me up when I get bummed because I can’t manage to push any of my books into best-sellership.

Age and good memory (if one has one) help some. Try some of the recent examples from Will Shortz Ed. (2002). Monday through Friday Easy to Tough Crossword Puzzles. New York: St. Martin’s Griffin. By the way, I’m happy with Monday through Thursday – they leave me feeling moderately good about myself. But Fridays?! Sometimes I don’t know the answers even after I see them.

Try these. I gave some help with a few of them.

You’ll find the answers below. It’s up to you whether you want to cheat.

1) 1950’s Wally Cox sitcom
2) Anne Bancroft role of 1967
3) Clinton Cabinet Member – 4 letters
4) Mohawk sporting actor
5) Chuck of “Code of Silence.”
6) Flappers’ Hairdos – 4 letters
7) He sang of Alice – 4 letters
8) Sportscaster John – 6 letters
9) Adlai’s 1956 running mate
10) “I’ll Be Around” composer Wilder – 4 letters
11) “Gaslight” Oscar winner, 1944 – 7 letters
12) Noted traitor – 6 letters
11) Peace Nobelist Bunche – 5 letters
12) Kenton of jazz – 4 letters
13) Show for which Bob Fosse won a 1978 Tony – 6 letters

Okay, so you got them all right. My point still holds. One way or another it comes to an end.
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
(1) Mr. Peepers; (2) (Mrs. Robinson; (3) Reno; (4) Mr. T; (5) Norris; (6) Bobs; (7) Arlo; (8) Madden;
(9) Estes; (10) Alec; (11) Bergman; (12) Arnold; (11) Ralph; (12) Stan; (13) Dancin




No comments: