Thursday, November 3, 2011

DEVASTATION IN CONNECTICUT

Thanks to my friend in Connecticut who feels fortunate to have access to power at her worksite. For those of us who aren't there, here's a sense of what it's like for those who are.



It’s now Day 6 with no heat, hot water, electricity, telephone...nothing!  This includes no gasoline at the pumps, food spoilage, and no stove for cooking. I’ve never seen such a storm (18-24” snow) such as the one we had this past weekend...actually I’ve never even seen snow in October.   What made this storm so deadly and the “perfect storm” was the combination of water-logged soil from Hurricane Irene, excessive moisture in the air, and trees fully laden with their fall leaves. Nature’s “gift” of hail; heavy, wet snow; icy roads, and (here’s another first) a thunder and lightning storm made for a truly apocalyptic night. In all my years in New England, I have never seen such horrific damage – not only did tree limbs break, but the whole tops of trees snapped off like candy canes.  Huge trees were uprooted and tossed about like matchsticks, ripping power lines from the poles, blocking roads, and destroying anything in their way.   The whole area now looks like a war zone, with everything closed.

1 comment:

Nancy Simpson said...

Hello Mona, I sent this to my daughter who was just there on vacation but not in the worst parts. They have a lot of pictures of snow and "playing" in the snow. I can see it is not fun for those who live there.

Here in the southern Appalachian Mountains, it is blustry with leaves flying like birds across the sky. No frost as yet for us LIVING ABOVE THE FROST LINE. I still have flowers blooming. see on site

www.nancysimpon.blogspot.com