Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Forgiveness and Restorative Justice -- Different?

I've been challenged to keep my blog focused on one topic in order to avoid confusion.  More specifically, it was suggested that I might have two blogs, one for Forgiveness and another for Restorative Justice. (Of course, in either case I'd reserve the right to talk about other stuff, like what happens when I can't sleep.)
The challenge came up when I referred to two things I'll be doing in October at Shepherd Of The Hill Presbyterian Church. (See my link to the church). On Saturday, October 4, I get the opportunity to do an all-day workshop on forgiveness and on Tuesday, October 14, I expect to participate in the dialogue series by presenting on "Save One; Save All: Restorative Justice/Restored Community."
I decided against separation into two blogs because Forgiveness and Restorative Justice rely basically on the same thing -- good problem solving as opposed to the emotional but vain and short-lived pleasure of vengeance.  In the long run, what action will do the most good for individuals and, more broadly, for the community of which we are a part? And both attend first to the needs of the victim(s) of wrongdoing.

No comments: